BOY HOWDY – Been Gone Awhile
Have I ever been away for awhile! After the year I had and the way I kicked off 2015 – 31 posts in 31 days with my Proverbs challenge (Day 31 here) – I really thought I’d be a blogging machine this year. I got distracted from blogging but for a really good reason – I am working on my dream of becoming a working comedian!
And it takes a TON of time.
I am still writing – almost every day. Not keeping a calendar like I did in 2014 (See that here) but my joke notebook is filling up and I have nearly 10 minutes of very usable material so far this year – and that is a good thing.
Here is a snippet of that material.
Below are the MAIN goals I have for myself to accomplish my dream of turning comedy from a pastime to a profession.
1) Long Term Comedy Goal – LTCG – I want to be able to replace my full time job and support my family doing, 100% clean, God honoring comedy.
2) Comedy Education including – Rik Roberts’ School of Laughs (I highly recommend checking out the school and the podcast). I will read books and take workshops to improve my material, my mindset and my drive. Always looking to improve.
3) Writing Daily – I will write at least 2 pages of free thoughts and note what might be usable as material and work on ideas as they come to me or that I have keep track of in either my notebook or Evernote
4) Open Mics – I will attend at least one (1) OM a week – more as family and work allow but 1 for sure. I heard RR say it takes about 100 OMs to know yourself and your audience so I have about 80 more sets to go before I really know what I am doing – YIKES!
5) Accountability Partners – Along with sending this list to RR, I will recruit some guys from my church as well as a couple a my comedy buddies to hold me accountable to all of the above.
Don’t let your goal overshadow what you already are. You are a godly man, a good husband and father And a great friend. Don’t lose sight of that. Don’t forget continuing in his word. Love you brother
Ron worry not – God is FIRST and foremost in my heart and mind. the comedy is and will always be 100% clean to honor and glorify HIM. I will use it to point to HIM not to me.
Thanks as always for stopping by. Miss you brother.
What is your goal? Meaning what type of comedy do you want to be known for?
I want to be know for doing 100% clean God honoring material. I heard a comic, Michael Jr. – everyone should check this guy out – say that his jokes have to be funny enough for the clubs but clean enough for a church and that’s how I am approaching every joke I tell. I see this as a mission field – more for the other comics that the audience.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Appreciate the conversation.
Trackbacks and Pingbacks
[…] Goals For My Journey To Professional Comedy […]